[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Jonathan Brandis Forum • View topic - Greetings from Minneapolis!

Jonathan Brandis Forum

For Fans of Jonathan Gregory Brandis (April 13, 1976 -- November 12, 2003)
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 1:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:42 am 

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you around. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:16 pm 

Welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:31 pm 

Welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:53 pm 

Welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:46 pm 

Hi Andrew!

I am so glad to meet you!
I am also one of those few who saw in Jon a friend more than a teenage crush, and I also got my life inspired by him.
Seeing someone that resamples me so well brings me a big large hopeful smile. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:53 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:48 am 

I'm always of a mind that denying our natures leads to self-destruction, that suppressing those emotions (and reactions) eventually destroys us. "Western" philosophy doesn't allow for "men" to show their feelings and the resultant stoicism leads to insanity, heart-attack and suicide (not to mention a host of other social ills.) Not acknowledging those feelings doesn't make them go away, it just hides them until they have an opportunity to overwhelm us...and they will.

True depression is the kind of thing that causes you to suddenly burst into tears over...a commercial, perhaps, a song, a look from a stranger in a crowd. But no one thinks twice if someone coughs when they have a cold (as long as they're not spreading it!) Depression is an illness, not unlike some kind of particularly unkind virus, (with very peculiar symptoms) and it's manageable. Denying that you have a cold will NOT make it go away, nor will denying depression. Simply knowing that it IS real makes facing it a little easier. You can say that it's not all in your head (or, as the case may be, it IS all in your head) and realize that the world isn't always as black and white as you see it - it's just that 'filter'.

There's a advertisement for a depression-related supplement in which the woman is followed around by a shadow - her depression - which tags along day and night, just out of sight. It's the first time I've seen an accurate portrayal of that bete noir - something that doesn't seem to get the hint about being unwelcome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:52 am 

All of us take a pretty harsh look at ourselves when it's self-analysis.

Take a certain 'actor' who was certain he was just another pretty face, (and not even that pretty, according to him - what, he didn't have a mirror?) a flavor-of-the-week, a mediocre talent, easily forgotten and ultimately an unimportant guy - lonely a lot, small group of friends he trusted, no love-life to speak of, not 'on course' for the American Standard of family, career, big house in the suburbs, lots of money in the bank, steering the charted course admirably... All of those things were lies perpetrated by stereotypes, and this 'actor' bought into the idea that he wasn't measuring up.

But we know better.

Sometimes you have to just accept the way things are and enjoy the scenery and not worry so much about the destination but more about the voyage. None of us get out of this alive, anyway. Enjoy the trip! Someone (and your guess is as good as anyone's on this as to who) went through an awful lot of trouble to assemble you the way you are and place you where you have to be at this point in your life. There must be something very important lined up.

But I for one didn't get the libretto for this soap opera, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet, so we all have to wait for Act III. (I hear the guy gets the girl...or the ship sinks...or the cavalry comes to the rescue...or something.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:13 pm 

you said it all exactly right, gar. Anyway, btw does this certain actor know better than that, now? :ymhug: